CP-LUHNA Author: Paleobotany
and paleoclimate of the southern Colorado Plateau; Fossil
Center for Environmental Sciences & Education
Northern Arizona University
Flagstaff, AZ 86011
Telephone: (520) 523-5821, Fax: (520) 523-7423
- Current Academic Positions:
- Director, Center for Environmental Sciences & Education, NAU
- Director, Laboratory of Paleoecology, NAU
- Associate Professor, Environmental Sciences and Quaternary Studies,
- Ph.D. 1987 University of Arizona, Paleoecology & Environmental
- M.S. 1979 University of Maine, Paleoecology
- B.A. 1974 University of Colorado, Environmental Biology
- Research Interests
- Disturbance ecology, primarily the effect of fire and insect infestation
on former plant communities; Paleoecology and climate history of plant
communities; and Global change issues, especially as they relate to
human activities in forested ecosystems
- Recent Grants and Awards:
- 1996-2000: Paleoenvironments and fire history of the Channel Islands
National Park, California (National Park Service)
- 1997-2000: Fire history of black spruce forests on the Kenai Peninsula,
Alaska (US Fish & Wildlife Service)
- 1999-2002: Sensitivity of semi-arid southwestern forests to climate-induced
disturbances - Holocene vegetation and fire histories (US Geological
- 1994-2000: Paleoenvironments of southern California (Various sources)
- 1995-1997: Varved sediments from Swamp Lake, California (NSF)
- 1993-1996: Paleoenvironments of the White River Plateau, Colorado
(US Forest Service)
- 1987-1999: Fossil history and fire history of the giant sequoia (Sequoiadendron
giganteum) forests of California (National Park Service & US
- Recent Colorado Plateau Publications:
- Anderson, R.S., J.L. Betancourt, J.I. Mead, R.H. Hevly, and D.P. Adam.
1999. Middle and Late-Wisconsin paleobotanic and paleoclimatic records
from the southern Colorado Plateau, USA. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology,
Palaeoecology 154 (1/2): in press.
- Anderson, R.S., J. Hasbargen, P.A. Koehler and E.J. Feiler. 1999.
Post-glacial and Holocene subalpine forests on the Markagunt Plateau,
southwestern Colorado Plateau, Utah. Arctic, Antarctic, and Alpine Research
- Feiler, E.J., R.S. Anderson and P.A. Koehler. 1997. Late Quaternary
paleoenvironments of the White River Plateau, Colorado, USA. Arctic
& Alpine Research 29: 53-62.
- Anderson, R.S. 1993. Mid- and late Wisconsin paleoclimates and environments
near Potato Lake, Arizona. Quaternary Research 40: 351-359.
- Recent Other Publications:
- Anderson, R.S. and B.F. Byrd. 1998. Late-Holocene vegetation changes
from the Las Flores Creek coastal lowlands, San Diego County, California.
Madroņo 45: 171-182.
- Anderson, R.S. and S.J. Smith. 1997. The sedimentary record of fire
in montane meadows, Sierra Nevada, California, USA: a preliminary assessment.
IN Clark, J.S., H. Cachier, J.G. Goldammer and B. Stocks (eds.), "Sediment
Records of Biomass Burning and Global Change". NATO ASI Series,
Vol. I 51: 313-327.
- Anderson, R.S., S.J. Smith, and P.A. Koehler. 1997. Distribution of
sites and radiocarbon dates in the Sierra Nevada: implications for paleoecological
prospecting. Radiocarbon 39:121-137.
- Anderson, R.S. 1996. Postglacial biogeography of Sierra lodgepole
pine (Pinus contorta var. murrayana) in California.
Ecoscience 3: 343-351.
- Anderson, R.S. and T.R. Van Devender. 1995. Vegetation history and
paleoclimates of the coastal lowlands of Sonora, Mexico - pollen records
from packrat middens. Journal of Arid Environments 30: 295-306.
- Koehler, P.A. and R.S. Anderson. 1995. Thirty thousand years of vegetation
changes in the Alabama Hills, Owens Valley, California. Quaternary Research
- Smith, S.J. and R.S. Anderson. 1995. A method for impregnating soft
sediment cores for thin-section microscopy. Journal of Sedimentary Research
- Anderson, R.S. and S.J. Smith. 1994. Paleoclimatic interpretations
of meadow sediment and pollen stratigraphies from California. Geology
- Koehler, P.A. and R.S. Anderson. 1994. Full-glacial shoreline vegetation
during the maximum highstand at Owens Lake, California. Great Basin
- Koehler, P.A. and R.S. Anderson. 1994. The paleoecology and stratigraphy
of Nichols Meadow, Sierra National Forest, California, U.S.A. Palaeogeography,
Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecology 112:1-17.
- Smith, S.J. and R.S. Anderson. 1992. Late Wisconsin paleoecologic
record from Swamp Lake, Yosemite National Park, California. Quaternary
- Betancourt, J.L., W.S. Schuster, J.B. Mitton and R.S. Anderson. 1991.
Fossil and genetic evidence for the age and origin of a pinyon pine
(Pinus edulis) isolate. Ecology 72:1685-1697.
- Anderson, R.S. and S.L. Carpenter. 1991. Vegetation change in Yosemite
Valley, Yosemite National Park, California during the protohistoric
period. Madroņo 38(1):1-13.
- Anderson, R.S. and D.S. Shafer. 1991. Early Holocene Engelmann spruce-subalpine
fir forests in southeastern Arizona: ecologic and biogeographic implications.
Madroņo 38: 287-295.
- Anderson, R.S. 1990. Holocene forest development and paleoclimates
within the central Sierra Nevada, California. Journal of Ecology 78: